BILINGUAL & CROSS-CULTURAL JOBS
Here you will find current vacancies and job offers around Austin for bilingual and cross-cultural related job opportunities. Interested applicants should apply directly to the information provided by the employer under
the job details.
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) of the Department of Homeland Security is seeking a limited number of applicants for temporary jobs in Austin, TX.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable and a high performance workforce.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
As a Bilingual Applicant Service Program Specialist (VIETNAMESE) with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
• Assist Vietnamese speaking disaster survivors with registration for FEMA assistance at a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) or researches and processes applicant cases from as field office.
• Communicates directly with applicants confirming that they understand the assistance process, disaster assistance programs, and the current status of their case.
• Requests and reviews additional information and/or documentation from the applicant and verifies information is complete and appropriate.
• Provides applicants with referrals to other Federal, State and Local agencies, voluntary organizations, and faith-based organizations.
• Provides information regarding Individual Assistance programs to internal and external partners.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
Relevant Experience Required:
• Customer service, call center operations, or similar.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Physical: Position requires long hours in a disaster-based environment.
• Administrative: Computer and telephone.
• Computer: Proficiency in computer based date entry and processing is highly recommended.
• Technical: Training in the required systems will be provided upon hiring.
• Organizational: Filing, record keeping, time-management.
Communications: Must speak Vietnamese. Position requires regular interaction with disaster survivors.
• Management: Non-supervisory.
• Other: 5 positions in Austin
Certifications: Valid Driver’s License
• Work Location: See Attached
• Work Schedule: 7:00 am – 7:00 pm SU-SA
Local Hire employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Health insurance for individual or family coverage - Employer contribution is 75% of premium
• Ability to earn 4 hours of paid Sick Leave per pay period
• Holiday pay
• Worker’s Compensation
Important Notices- Please be advised:
We request that all applications be sent via e-mail to: FEMA-DR4223TX-LocalHires@fema.dhs.gov with the following subject line: JobID-0116-Applicants Services Program Specialist (VIETNAMESE)-Austin, TX
Selected candidates will be required to complete a background investigation which includes finger printing.
This is a TEMPORARY position for up to 120 days which could be terminated or extended at any time, depending on the needs of the operation. A Local Hire appointment does not entitle you to federal civilian status. You may be required to work 10-12 hour a day 7 days a week.
You must provide two forms of ID: such as a VALID Driver License, Social Security Card, Birth Certificate etc. or Passport. (We will not accept if expired.)
Eighteen years of age and US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED. Direct deposit of salary is a condition of employment. Salaries are comparable to local prevailing wages.
FEMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FEMA has a 'zero tolerance' discrimination policy and is committed to nondiscrimination in hiring, assignment, management of the Joint Field Office, guidance to the State, presentations to the public, and the provision of disaster assistance. This commitment specifically includes sensitivity to providing reasonable accommodation for people with a disability and a clear statement that any appearance of sexual harassment will not be tolerated in FEMA.